Why You Should Grill Your Favorite Dessert
When you sit down to a table overflowing with food, your excitement peaks. You survey the feast before you and load your plate high with mouthwatering meat, veggies and bread. But what lingers in the back of your mind while you eat? Dessert. You know it’s coming, and you can’t wait to find out what it might be.
Dessert is the perfect finale to an amazing meal. With so many options available and ever-present anticipation, how could desserts possibly get any better? Adding convenience and fun to your dessert prep is about the only thing that could improve these mealtime favorites. That’s what makes grilled desserts the pinnacle of sweet cuisine.
Benefits of Grilling Desserts
You already love your grill for cooking meat. But your grill is no one-trick pony. There are a host of beloved dessert recipes you can whip up on the grill.
Some of the benefits of grilling desserts include:
- Fewer dishes to clean: Many grilled dessert recipes allow you to lay ingredients directly onto aluminum foil or the grill itself. This removes the need for mixing bowls, mixing utensils and baking sheets that fill up your sink and have to be cleaned. You either have the choice of scrubbing dishes or relaxing on the couch after your meal. Is there even a competition?
- No need to preheat the oven: Preheating the oven when you’re baking desserts can add prep time to your process. If you’re already grilling meat, your grill is hot and ready to go. No wasted wait time means you can spend more time with the things that matter — your family, friends or the game on TV.
- Unique smoky flavor: One of your grill’s greatest strengths is its ability to add a unique smokiness to the food you cook. You won’t get those flavors when baking desserts, and you’ll be surprised how much the smokiness complements your desserts.
- Super quick cooking: Your grill heats quickly and cooks quickly, which speeds up the dessert-making process. Depending on the recipe you choose, you could have an impressive dish ready in 15 minutes or less.
- One less person in the kitchen: When you’re cooking a full meal, it can be challenging to juggle multiple people and dishes in the kitchen at once. Grilling your desserts takes one dish and person out of the kitchen for added convenience and workflow.
- Impressive presentation: Grilling desserts is deceptively simple, but that doesn’t make it any less impressive. Watch your friends’ eyes light up as they notice beautiful grill marks on their desserts. You can enjoy the simple preparation and take all the credit.
Best Grilled Dessert Recipes
If you’re ready to take your grilling game to the next level, check out these incredible grilled dessert recipes:
This recipe makes for a super simple dessert with the perfect balance of tangy, spiced and sweet flavors. To make grilled apple crisp, slice open some apples, mix the filling ingredients, load your apples and place them on the grill for 30 minutes.
The grill imparts an unmistakable smoky flavor into your apple crisp, and the recipe pairs well with a variety of serving options. Plate your grilled apple crisp as is, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or with smoked cheeses to create a dish your guests won’t forget.
Pie and sweet potatoes are holiday staples. This grilled bacon pecan sweet potato pie recipe takes these classics to a whole new level. While you’re preparing the rest of your holiday meal, whip together some cooked sweet potatoes and mix your pie filling. Add your filling to a pie shell and sprinkle it with pecans, bacon and maple syrup before you transfer it to the grill to bake for 45 to 60 minutes
This dessert preserves precious oven space for your holiday cooking, and the mix of unique flavors is sure to impress. The savory sweet potatoes and bacon contrast with the sweet pecans and maple syrup for a layered dessert profile with that trademark grill smokiness.
For a lightning-quick dessert packed with flavor, try this recipe for grilled pineapple with a brown sugar glaze. All you need is pineapple, brown sugar and butter to bring this recipe to life. Slice your pineapple into long strips and grill five to seven minutes on each side. Once you’ve created some eye-catching grill marks, remove the pineapple from the grill and brush it with a mixture of melted butter and brown sugar.
Grilled pineapple offers a wide variety of serving opportunities. Whether you prefer the pineapple on its own, paired with ice cream or with some savory grilled ham, the options are endless. The tangy pineapple mixed with the sweet butter and brown sugar glaze will have your guests asking for seconds and thirds.
Bread pudding is another holiday classic that transitions seamlessly to the grill. For a rich and tasty holiday dessert, try this smoked bread pudding recipe. This recipe comes together in three irresistible layers: bread pudding, fruit compote and oat topping.
Start by mixing the bread pudding ingredients — this recipe calls for leftover donuts instead of bread for added sweetness. Add the bread pudding to a pan, sprinkle the oat topping over the top and pop it onto the grill for 40 to 45 minutes. While your dish is on the grill, you can cook up your fruit compote and pull all the elements together for a rich and tangy dessert.
This recipe makes a complex dish into a manageable and delicious grilled dessert. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream for an unforgettable mix of flavors.
Bacon makes everything better, including desserts. This smoked maple bacon cupcake recipe will have your guests marveling that you made it all on the grill. Start by preparing a yellow cupcake mix and dropping the batter into a cupcake tin. Then, place your cupcakes on the grill for approximately 20 minutes. While you’re grilling the cake, you can prepare your bacon for the grill. Add it to the smoker for 45 minutes while you work on the maple-flavored buttercream.
To assemble your masterpieces, fill a piping bag with your buttercream and pipe a generous amount onto each grilled cupcake. Add a chunk of candied bacon on top for a unique presentation that matches all of the amazing flavors in this recipe. If you’re looking for a grilled dessert that will steal the show at any gathering, this recipe is a clear winner.
Take Your Grilled Dessert to the Next Level With Grilla Grills
The foundation of a standout grilled dessert is a versatile grill built for anything. Whether you prefer wood pellet, charcoal or smoker grills, Grilla Grills has the product to match. Our grills’ rock-solid construction and amazing prices make Grilla Grills the clear choice for a serious pitmaster.
For high-quality and versatile grills that can handle everything from meat to veggies to dessert, browse our selection of grill models today. To learn how Grilla Grills can make you a star in your backyard, contact us with any questions.