BBQ Salmon with Bourbon Glaze Recipe
This recipe comes from Bill Porterfield, a competitor in the World Food Championships Thrilla at the Grilla contest.
Bill’s passion for cooking began when he took the role as scoutmaster for his son’s Boy Scout troop. While cooking for Air Force troops during deployment, he perfected his outdoor cooking. He has competed in KCBS and his cooking slogan is “I may not be the best, but I have cooked for some of America’s finest”.
- 1 Cup Jim Beam Bourbon
- 1 Cup Ketchup
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 Tbsp Yellow Mustard
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp Blues Hog Dry Rub Seasoning
Preheat grill to 350 degrees F. I use a pellet grill.
Carefully dry your skinless salmon fillet with a paper towel to remove any moisture from it. Brush each side with olive oil and dust with Blues Hog Dry Rub Seasoning and set aside. In a bowl combine the remaining ingredients and blend thoroughly.
Place salmon on the grill for approx 5 minutes, just long enough to start getting an outer crust. Cover the top of the salmon with the glaze mixture generously and let cook for approx 10 minutes.
Reglaze the top side and carefully turn over and glaze the other side and cook for another 5 to 10 minutes. Be careful not to over cook the salmon so depending on the thickness of your fillet as to how long you want to cook it.
Recoat the top and carefully flip back over and recoat. At this time check for internal temperature, you are looking for 145 degrees F. Continue grill until you reach this temp. Once the temperature is reached serve and enjoy.
How to Set the Stage for Stellar BBQ Salmon
As you can see, Bill’s recipe for salmon on the smoker grill is nothing but mouthwatering. In fact, you are probably itching to try it on your friends and family. But before you fire up your pellet grill, be sure you have all your ducks in a row. Otherwise, you will not elicit the best possible flavor from your pellet grilled salmon.
Below are some helpful suggestions from the know-it-alls at Grilla Grills. Trust us: We have thousands of hours of grilling and smoking under our tool belts. Lean on our perspectives and ideas to help you create a masterpiece for your next dinner, party, tailgate, holiday, birthday celebration, picnic or Sunday get-together:
- Buy some really awesome salmon. Now is not the time to skimp on anything, especially the star of the recipe. Purchase the best salmon you can find, even if it costs a little more. Adding a dollar or two per pound to get a tastier, more robust piece of salmon that will burst with flavor is totally worth it.
- Clean your pellet grill so it shines. Before your salmon ever hits that grill, give the grill a thorough once-over. Scrub it well so no old food is lingering to mess with your new ingredients. That way, your salmon on the pellet smoker will taste amazing and not absorb any other odors.
- Play around with different flavors of wood pellets. At Grilla Grills, we offer a variety of pellet types, including apple, pecan and hickory. After making this wood pellet grilled salmon recipe for the first time, try it again with a different pellet. You might be surprised at how it can change the undertones of the dish.
- Insist on the freshest ingredients. Never cut corners anywhere, even on the spices and seasonings you use to make your BBQ salmon. It really will pay you back to be picky. Your family may think you are a little crazy, but they will respect you when they chow down on this amazing entree.
Ready to dig in? Fire up your pellet grill for smoked salmon like you only thought was possible in fine restaurants!