Chipotle Turkey Burgers
This recipe can be made with ground beef or chicken instead of turkey, but this is our take on eating a little healthier. If you can’t find a chipotle in adobo sauce, feel free to just use a jalapeño and chop it up and add a little barbecue sauce to compensate for the lost adobo.
- 2 lb. Ground Turkey
- 1⁄2 C Onion Chopped and Sauteed
- 3 TBS Fresh Chopped Cilantro
- 2 chipotle chile in adobo sauce
- Finely chopped 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 3 TBS Grilla Beef Rub
- 8 slices pepper jack cheese
- 8 hamburger buns
I recommend assembling the burgers the night before so all the ingredients really get a chance to meld. The extra time spent the night before ensures not only better flavor, but once assembled and placed back in the fridge it ensures the burgers stay together better.
Finely chop the onion. Place turkey, onion, cilantro, chile pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and Grilla Beef Rub in a large bowl. Use your hands to mix well and form into 8 patties.
Preheat either your Silverbac, Kong, or Grilla to 375 degrees. Cook the turkey burgers until they reach at least 165 degrees. Cook time will be dictated by the thickness of burgers, but allow for about 45min of cook time.
Use a small, highly accurate thermometer such as a Thermopop to verify the internal temp. Do not trust the look of the patties, you must cook them until they reach 165 to avoid any issues. Just before the patties are removed from the grill, top with the cheese and serve. If you are looking to keep all the carbs out of the dish, skip the bun and eat it like a hamburger steak with sautéed onions and mushrooms.
If you want fewer carbs but something still handheld, these are great in a wrap with some ranch dressing and tomato and lettuce. Our very own Gold n Bold is a perfect pairing with these burgers as well.
Tips to Make the Best Chipotle Turkey Burgers
You want to make your neighbors drool every time you fire up your Grilla Grill. We get it. So be sure to use these hints because they are the best way to cook turkey burgers that bring everyone to your door:
- Buy good meat. Whether you use ground turkey or even salmon, go for the high-quality stuff. High-quality ingredients always give you a boost from the very beginning.
- Get fresh herbs. Notice that we recommend fresh cilantro for these chipotle turkey burgers? That is not an accident. Fresh herbs have a striking flavor that dried ones just lack.
- Feel free to substitute fresh garlic for the garlic powder. To be perfectly honest, we incorporated garlic powder into the mix because it is simple to add. But nothing can compare to finely minced garlic. Swap one for the other, and you have some amazing stuff.
- Try different types of buns. From sesame seed buns to hearty Kaiser rolls to Hawaiian rolls, experiment with anything you can find and like. It will bring out new flavors in this barbeque turkey burger recipe.
Now get that smoker ready because dinner will come before you know it!