Garlic Rosemary Butter Lamb Leg
This recipe is going to change the way you’ve thought of lamb forever! This recipe is extremely simple to make and will end up with a taste that’s out of this world!
We covered this bone-in lamb leg hock with garlic, rosemary and then basted it with homemade ground mustard, garlic, rosemary butter sauce.
You’ll never want to make a mint-flavored lamb again after trying this foolproof recipe.
- Bone-in lamb leg hock
- coarse salt
- 1 tsp crushed rosemary
- 1-2 tbsp garlic
- 1 stick of butter
- 2 tbsp garlic
- 2 tbsp ground mustard
- 1 tbsp crushed rosemary
Start with your bone-in lamb leg hock and add coarse salt.
Then apply 1 tsp of crushed rosemary, a layer of pepper, and 1-2 tbsp of garlic.
Put your lamb leg on your pellet grill at 250 for 4-5 hours until the internal temperature reaches 150.
Next, melt one stick of butter with 2 tbsp each of garlic and ground mustard.
Add 1 tbsp of crushed rosemary to the butter as well. Baste your lamb leg hourly, repeating as necessary.
Our Favorite Sides to Pair With Lamb
Since this dish is so simple to make, we like to go all out when it comes to sides. From crispy potatoes to buttery carrots, marinated white bean salad to shaved asparagus, here are our go-to sides for making a BBQ leg of lamb a complete and utterly mouthwatering meal:
- Shaved asparagus and arugula salad
- Sweet and smoky roasted carrots
- Pan-roasted asparagus with lemon, brown butter and eggs mimosa
- Marinated white bean and radicchio salad
- Broccoli rabe in lemon cream
- Garlicky roasted potato salad
- Pan-braised radishes and greens
- Herb salad with feta and chickpeas
The Best Spices for Barbecuing Leg of Lamb
Leg of lamb marinated in rosemary garlic butter tops the charts for our favorite lamb seasoning. Here’s why — lamb’s strong flavor needs pungent herbs to tame its intense meatiness.
Besides using a lamb marinade with rosemary, like the one we suggest in our Garlic Rosemary Butter Lamb Leg recipe, you can get a leg hock that’s otherworldly with these seasonings known for their robust flavor profiles:
- Cumin: Cumin’s earthy bitterness pairs well with lamb’s slightly gamey flavors.
- Oregano: Oregano pairs well with black pepper and garlic to compete with the taste of lamb.
- Curry powder: This spice is one of your best options if you want to capture the most critical flavors that go well with lamb.
- Black pepper: An all-purpose savory spice, black pepper can work with all manner of meat and vegetables.
- Baharat: Baharat blends contain herbs that are intense enough to mellow out lamb’s flavors.
Become a BBQ Leg of Lamb Pitmaster With a Grilla Grill
Protein always belongs on the smoker grill, and lamb leg is no exception. For best results, take care to use new utensils every time you work with meat, fish or fowl to avoid cross-contamination. We know you know how to cook lamb leg to perfection, and we respect that. But if you want your food to be even better, you might want to look into our wood pellet grills.
These grills impart a wood-fired flavor to take your grilled leg of lamb to the next level. Though they may look like your standard propane grill on the outside, the inside is built with durable technology and material that allows you to set and maintain the perfect temperature. We’ve assembled these grills with dependability in mind, and we’re so confident in their build that we offer four-year warranties.
Pick up a Grilla Grill today and become the star of your backyard barbecue.