Grilla Grills St. Louis Style BBQ Sauce
This St. Louis style BBQ sauce is very similar to its cousin in Kansas City, but a bit more tangy and traditionally a little thinner in consistently. In St. Louis the general approach is to “grill and sauce” rather than “to go low and slow” and this sauce is perfect for that. It’s versatility and ease of use are ideal for the folks grilling at home.
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar (light or dark)
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
1.) Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan and cook over medium-high heat until you reach a gentle boil; whisking constantly.
2.) Reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes; frequently stirring to avoid burning the sugars.
3.) Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature; use right away, or the sauce can be stored for up to a month in the frig.