Homemade Grilla Grills Coleslaw
- 1 head of white cabbage, thinly sliced
- ½ head of red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 large red onion, shaved
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup Duke’s mayonnaise
- pinch sugar
- pinch salt
- pinch black pepper
This recipe is incredibly simple. Simply get all of your ingredients prepped, pour them in a large bowl together, and stir with a wooden spoon until they’re well incorporated together. This is best served cold, so leave it in the fridge until you’re ready to eat!
Bet you never thought it would be this easy to make your own coleslaw!
How to Turn Homemade Coleslaw Into a Meal
This recipe makes the perfect side to round out a backyard meal if that’s what you’re looking for. But don’t get us wrong — we’re here to vouch for coleslaw as being so much more than a creamy side dish.
Our recipe’s coleslaw ingredients make a delicious pairing with citrusy grilled shrimp or summery barbecued chicken. If you’re staying indoors, serve up our homemade coleslaw with roasted pork chops for a meal everyone will love.
Here are eight creative ways to turn your homemade coleslaw recipe into a delicious meal:
- Pulled pork egg rolls, fried or baked: Combine leftover pulled pork with homemade coleslaw to make these innovative egg rolls. Surprisingly easy to cook and prepare, these egg rolls can be either deep-fried or baked depending on your preferences.
- Chicken shawarma sliders: Grilled shredded chicken breasts are the main feature of this sandwich — just top them off with some creamy slaw, and you’ve got a great meal.
- Slow-cooked pulled chicken: A juicy heap of shredded slow-cooked chicken is yet another perfect opportunity to use this crunchy, fresh homemade coleslaw. The flavors and textures are a match made in heaven.
- Halibut tacos: Fish tacos are already terrific with slaw, but these tacos take it to a whole new level.
- Tofu tacos: Whether you’re a fan of corn or flour tortillas, our easy coleslaw mixture adds incredible flavor to stir-fried chili-seasoned tofu tacos.
- Corned beef sandwich: Instead of using classic sauerkraut, top a simple corned beef sandwich with homemade Grilla Grills coleslaw.
- Memphis-style pulled pork: Cook your pork to perfection in a professional pellet smoker with wood chips and charcoal. Serve this authentic pulled-pork sandwich with extra Memphis rub, finishing sauce and homemade slaw for a meal you won’t soon forget.
- Asian steak tacos: Tempt your taste buds with delicious Asian-inspired steak tacos! Make them snack-size with mini tortillas or enjoy them as a meal.
Get Inventive With Our Homemade Coleslaw Recipe
Did you know you can make coleslaw with other vegetables besides cabbage? Carrots, purple cabbage, radicchio and shredded broccoli are other ingredients often used in coleslaw. If you’re feeling inventive, you can even use apples.
Other variations include making an Asian-style slaw with sesame oil or soy sauce or using a vinegar-based dressing mixture for a Carolina slaw.
Dig Into More Grilla Grills Recipes Today
Coleslaw isn’t your only opportunity to rediscover a veggie that gets too little respect! Our butter smoked cabbage recipe is another easy-to-make side dish featuring cabbage, a tasty but often overlooked vegetable. This one can be thrown on the Grilla or Silverbac for a surprisingly flavorful, succulent smoked cabbage dish.
We invite you to check out our recipes, from beef and pork dishes to desserts and sides, to get started on a hot or cold smoking adventure. You can also locate a store near you or look at our online inventory of Grilla Grills smokers to get a wood pellet grill that’s sure to make you a star in your backyard.