Smoked Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie Recipe
This recipe comes from Troy Winter, a competitor in the World Food Championships Thrilla at the Grilla contest.
Troy has competed at the World Food Championships for the past six years. He is the owner of Mr. Troy’s Carolina Twisted Sauces and has competed in various BBQ competitions, including over 50 KCBS events and Food Network’s “Bakers vs. Fakers”.
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup dark corn syrup
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- ¾ cup bacon (crumbled)
- ¼ cup bourbon
- 4 tablespoons or ¼ cup of butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 package refrigerated pie dough
- 16 oz heavy cream
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup bacon (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
1. Bring Smoker to 350 degrees.
2. Mix 4 tablespoons butter, ½ cup brown sugar, and ½ cup white sugar in mixing bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, mix 4 eggs and 1 tablespoon cornstarch together and add to mix.
4. Add ½ cup dark corn syrup, ½ cup light corn syrup, ¼ cup bourbon, 1 cup chopped pecans, 1 cup bacon, and 1 tablespoon vanilla to mix.
5. Place pie dough in 9 inch pie pan.
6. Lightly flour dough.
7. Evenly place ½ cup chocolate chips in pie pan.
8. Pour mixture into pie pan.
9. Smoke at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until center is firm.
10. Cool and top with bacon whipped cream (see below).
Bacon whipped Cream:
Combine ingredients (16 oz heavy cream, ¾ cup white sugar, ¼ cup bacon – finely chopped, and 1 tablespoon vanilla) and blend at high speed until mixture thickens. This recipe can be divided into 6 mini pie pans or custard dishes or served as one whole pie.