Smoked Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie Recipe
This recipe comes from Troy Winter, a competitor in the World Food Championships Thrilla at the Grilla contest.
Troy has competed at the World Food Championships for the past six years. He is the owner of Mr. Troy’s Carolina Twisted Sauces and has competed in various BBQ competitions, including over 50 KCBS events and Food Network’s “Bakers vs. Fakers”.
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup dark corn syrup
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- ¾ cup bacon (crumbled)
- ¼ cup bourbon
- 4 tablespoons or ¼ cup of butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 package refrigerated pie dough
- 16 oz heavy cream
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup bacon (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
1. Bring Smoker to 350 degrees.
2. Mix 4 tablespoons butter, ½ cup brown sugar, and ½ cup white sugar in mixing bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, mix 4 eggs and 1 tablespoon cornstarch together and add to mix.
4. Add ½ cup dark corn syrup, ½ cup light corn syrup, ¼ cup bourbon, 1 cup chopped pecans, 1 cup bacon, and 1 tablespoon vanilla to mix.
5. Place pie dough in 9 inch pie pan.
6. Lightly flour dough.
7. Evenly place ½ cup chocolate chips in pie pan.
8. Pour mixture into pie pan.
9. Smoke at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until center is firm.
10. Cool and top with bacon whipped cream (see below).
Bacon whipped Cream:
Combine ingredients (16 oz heavy cream, ¾ cup white sugar, ¼ cup bacon – finely chopped, and 1 tablespoon vanilla) and blend at high speed until mixture thickens. This recipe can be divided into 6 mini pie pans or custard dishes or served as one whole pie.
When Did Bacon Become a Dessert Item?
When you first see a recipe like “bacon pecan pie,” you might wonder when bacon moved from breakfast into other times of the day. Although we have no way of pinpointing its exact moment of meal migration, we have to say that we’re glad it did!
For a long time, pitmasters have loved working with bacon. Being able to add it to a smoked pecan pie makes everyone even happier!
If you have resisted the bacon-as-dessert trend so far, we encourage you to jump wholeheartedly into making this bourbon bacon pecan pie. You will kick yourself for not including bacon in your grande finale line-up sooner.
Tips for an Even More Indulgent Bacon Pecan Pie
Our smoked pecan pie is pure indulgence at its finest. Still, if you want to make sure it snags you all the kudos possible, keep a few hints in mind:
- Buy really amazing bacon: Forget about the weak stuff on sale. High-quality bacon begets high-quality bourbon bacon pecan pie.
- Clean your grill first: Clean your wood pellet smoker grill like crazy before hitting it with this fantastic treat. The cleaner your Grilla or Silverbac, the better the pie will taste.
- Make your own pie dough: Though the recipe calls for pre-made dough from the store, your homemade pie dough will have a one-of-a-kind snap.
Good luck keeping this around for longer than a day or two. Smoked pecan pie has a way of disappearing.