Smoked Creamed Spinach
This smoked creamed spinach recipe works just as well on the stove top or oven as it does on the grill, but the added smoke from the grill adds another layer of flavor that is fantastic. This dish works great as a side and even a dip for bread.
- 12oz bag frozen spinach
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/3 cup and 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons and 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup and minced white onion
- 9 slices shredded provolone cheese
- 3/4 cup and 2 teaspoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
Thaw the frozen spinach and then in a tight mesh colander press the spinach against the sides to remove as much excess moisture as possible and set aside.
Melt the butter in the skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and onions; cook and stir until tender, about 5 minutes.
Add the spinach and stir in the heavy cream. Sprinkle in the provolone and parmesan cheese and stir to melt and coat the spinach. Place the pan on the grill at 350-400 degrees and stir every 5min until the mixture has thickened. Season with salt and pepper and serve hot.
Add Unique Touches to Your Creamed Spinach From the Smoker
Are you determined to take this basic grilled spinach recipe and make it your own? We get it. Many of our award-winning pitmasters started by taking a general classic recipe and creating something totally new and unexpected.
Tips to Spruce up Your Creamed Spinach
If you want to mix it up when making your creamed spinach in the smoker, we suggest first trying the traditional directions here. That way, you get the hang of pulling together smoked creamed spinach for your crew. After your test run, we recommend experimenting with some of these suggestions:
- Add different types of greens: Collard greens and kale come to mind as perfect partners for your frozen spinach. They are hearty enough to stand up to the creamy sauce, and they pack lots of vitamins in addition to flavor.
- Include a few other veggie types: Want to bring some color into your soon-to-be-famous grilled spinach recipe? Grate some carrots and toss them in with the spinach or try other non-green veggies that have enough oomph to stick together.
- Combine black beans with the other ingredients for a protein kick: Spinach and beans are a delicious combination. All you need to do is rinse off canned black beans and include them in the recipe for a mouthwatering meal.
- Put BBQ rub into the sauce: In addition to the overtones of the smokiness of the grill, BBQ rub creates an echo of those flavors in the sauce itself.
- Mix up the cheeses: Have a hard cheese you particularly love? Put shavings into the smoked creamed spinach. Cheese always makes everything a little tastier.
No matter how you decide to make your creamed spinach from the smoker unique, you will absolutely love the rave reviews you get.