We’ve all bought the plastic bottle of tartar sauce from the local store, now we’re going to show you a recipe that will make that a thing of the past! This simple recipe is going to take your seafood from good, to great!
- 1 white diced onion
- 1 cucumber, seeded and diced
- 2 lemons juiced
- 1 brick (8 tbsp) cream cheese
- 1 cup mayo
- 1/4 cup dill pickle relish
- 3 tbsp wasabi paste
Mix all ingredients in a large bowl and serve with your favorite seafood dish.
What Is Tartar Sauce, Anyway?
Most of us have tasted — or at least smelled — tartar sauce.
Basic tartar sauce is a condiment made of capers, chopped pickles, mayonnaise and herbs such as dill and tarragon. Variations on the recipe may include other ingredients, such as chives, parsley, Dijon mustard and hot pepper sauce.
The sauce is usually chunky and thick, and the mayonnaise base can be made from scratch using oil, vinegar and raw egg yolks. Add some chopped vegetables and spices, and your sauce is ready to go!
What to Pair With Your Homemade Tartar Sauce Recipe
Grilla Grills tartar sauce is to die for when served with seafood, particularly fried and battered fish. You can also spread it on burgers and sandwiches, dip other fried foods in it or even use it as a salad dressing.
With a sour, salty flavor derived from vinegar, tartar sauce goes well with savory foods, such as potato fries, fish cakes and beer-battered shrimp. You can also pair it with meat dishes, such as sweetmeats or poultry.
The Healthy Way to Eat Tartar Sauce
Traditionally, tartar sauce is served with seafood dishes like fish and chips and crab cakes. However, if you’re a part of the Grilla Grills family, you know we believe anything is possible — including enjoying this recipe the healthy way!
Here are a few of our favorite health-conscious ways to enjoy homemade tartar sauce:
- With air-fried or crispy baked veggies: We’d take baked zucchini chips and air fryer cauliflower with homemade tartar sauce for dipping over fish sticks any day!
- In a baked potato: Move over, sour cream! A scoop of this homemade tartar sauce is to die for inside a hot baked potato.
- On a sandwich: Tartar sauce makes an excellent spread in all sorts of sandwiches, but we especially love it in place of remoulade sauce in a crispy cauliflower po’boy.
- With roasted or grilled veggies: Our easy tartar sauce pairs well with grilled veggie kabobs, roasted broccoli, roasted cauliflower, grilled zucchini and grilled corn.
- On a crudité platter: Serve it as a dip with pita bread and your favorite raw veggies.
Get Ready to Become a Sauce Boss
Once you learn how to make tartar sauce, you’ll never look for it at the store again! This Grilla Grills version is extra tangy, creamy and delicious.
Be prepared to make this easy tartar sauce frequently — it disappears out of a fridge faster than you can say Grilla!