The Ultimate Guide to Spicing Smoked Meat
The right spices will give your meat the flavor you love while also helping to seal in that meaty deliciousness you want from a hearty meal. Use our guide to find the right taste for your next barbeque.
Best Spices for Beef
Beef has a strong flavor, so it calls for bold spices that won’t get overwhelmed by its meatiness. We recommend:
- Black pepper
- Yellow mustard powder
- Sage and/or thyme
If you want to bring Mediterranean flavor to your beef, try a combination of basil and oregano.
Best Spices for Pork
Pork sits somewhere between beef and poultry on the flavor scale. It makes a nice base for bolder flavors, but something too bold can overpower its natural sweetness. Try some of these spices with your pork:
Adding fruit to pork gives it excellent flavor, and you can combine several of these spices, such as allspice, ginger and cinnamon.
Best Spices for Poultry
Poultry has a mild flavor that makes it an excellent base for just about any spice. You can really use your imagination when you spice your chicken and turkey. Try something sweet, savory, spicy — the possibilities are endless. A few you might want to try include:
- Dill weed
- Bay leaf
We also love adding lemon, orange or lime peel to chicken for a citrus-based twist on any spice or rub.
Best Spices for Seafood
Seafood runs the gamut, from mild shellfish to salty cod to mild tilapia to flavorful salmon. What spices you choose depend on what type of seafood you’re enjoying. Here are a few combinations to get you started:
- Shellfish: Tarragon, lemongrass and Cajun seasoning
- Swordfish: Sage
- Mahi-mahi: Basil
- Cod: Anise
- Catfish: Oregano
- Salmon: Coriander
Best Spices for Veggies
Veggies make a fantastic grill dish. You can mix up a bunch of different kinds, spritz them with olive oil and add the following spices for a perfect side dish:
- Basil and oregano
Plain old salt and pepper also make an exceptional flavor for veggies.
Best Spices for Appetizers
Three of our favorite grilled appetizer spices go with specific foods:
- Grilled shrimp: Old Bay, cayenne and paprika
- Grilled pizza: Basil leaves
- Bruschetta: Oregano, salt and pepper
Get Grilla Grills Spices for Your Next Barbeque
Ready to get started with spicing? We recommend three distinct Grilla Grills spices:
1. Gold n Bold BBQ Sauce 18 oz.: The tangy mustard taste of this sauce makes it an instant favorite in any household. Flavored with garlic, onion, paprika and other flavorful spices, it pairs well with chicken, beef and even veggies.
2. Kongo Kick Sauce 18 oz.: Bring the heat to your next meal with Kongo Kick Sauce, which delivers a kick with every bite. It also includes a hint of natural smoke flavor that will raise the bar on your barbeque.
3. All Purpose Rub 12 oz.: Apply this rub before you grill steak, chicken or pork, and you’ll get a bold flavor our customers can’t get enough of.
Get your new pellet grill to become a pitmaster who can spice up any meal. Contact us to learn more about our grills.